Breeding Vieja Cichlids... anyone have luck?

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
I did an 80 percent water change and rearranged all the driftwood and sand to create a more secluded area in part of the tank and even dimmed the light in that section. The male is going wild now chasing the female more than usual as well as moving sand and plants. Its pretty interesting see this guy move a 24 inch tall plant.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
My vieja eat lettuce and zucchini. carpintis likes lettuce, won't touch zucchini. My Trimac eats lettuce, won't touch zucchini. Romaine lettuce, not green leaf lettuce. They won't eat sweet potato, or bell pepper. Vieja REALLY like mango. I saw a big Papaya at the store the other day, but I didn't get it. Shoulda got and tried that. I've read that Synspilum will congregate under fruit trees in the jungle waiting a fruit to fall in the water. I've noticed that some Vieja like the seeds from the zucchini, and will leave it alone when the seeds are all gone. Other vieja will eat seeds and fiber of the zucchini. NONE of them will eat the green peeling of the zucchini.

I don't know why, but I'm just fascinated that fish will eat vegetables like that. A Jaguar won't touch vegetables, and that's what seems normal to me.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looking at the mouth and jaws, and body of any animal, be it big cat, or water buffalo, or Parachromis or killifish seems to signify its food preference.
And fish are as varied as any land animal.

Just the upturned mouth of many livebearers or killis seem to indicate insects or their larvae

And competition in the habitat determines what a fish or mammal evolves to eat .
Habitat where fruit falls, be it land or water, will create a situation for seed dispersers to take advantage of, whether Pacu in Brazil, or Vieja or similar species in Central America, or monkeys on land or birds.
Eventually my bocourti reduced the papyrus below to nothing but root nubs, after they were introduced to the tank, the Paratilapia first housed with them, never touched the plants.

And though my Ptychochromis will sift sand all day, they barely notice the much smaller swordtails housed with them.

There are cichlids from Lake Barumbi mbu (Pungu maclareni) that exist almost exclusively off freshwater sponges, while others like Stomatepia pindu, from the same lake have a mouth that shows it is obviously predator.

or Theraps lentiginosum a predator, but only on prey small enough.

Ian14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore
Nice looking fish you have there. I fed my vieja pieces of mango and only the black belt would eat them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store