When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Murray Missile

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KurseD

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked this one up over the weekend for $10. Plan to clean and refresh for my little girls. ALL questions and comments are welcome. As far as I can tell it's a 1963 by the numbers on the left drop out, though this one doesn't have the MO to begin with. # W 525 ͦ ͦ ͦ 267388 so if anyone see's something I missed, chime in.

041512008-1.jpg
041512010-1.jpg

041512009-1.jpg

041512011-1.jpg

Man that must be tough to pedal what with the rear dragging like that.....

I'll take "What do pimps say about other pimps fat hookers" for $5000 Alex

So we got to start working on the bike today. Took it outside and gave it a nice soapy bath. Then on to the basement to disassemble. Got everything torn down except the cranks. If ANYONE has any ideas on removing the pins from the crank let me know. I tried beating them out with a hammer and punch with no luck. Got all the nuts and bolts in a lemon juice bath. Got the chain in vinegar and lemon juice soaking. Used an S.O.S. pad to clean the rear rim a little and cleaned up the handle bars some. Started pouring down rain so we moved the entire operation inside.

I soaked the grips in near boiling water for about 60 seconds each, then wrapped them with a big rag and they came off no problem. Cleaned them up a bit with some Soft Scrub and a scuff pad. Now I've got them soaking in bleach. Once we get the doggone crank off, we'll continue bathing it and use some good cleaning wax then polish the frame and painted parts up. Get them back to a nice shiny status. Still need a seat and seat tube if anyone has an extra laying around anywhere. Here are some pics.

Oh almost forgot. We used a body working hammer and dolly to reshape the bent headlight rim. I forgot to take and after picture before I put it in the vinegar/lemon juice bath with the chain. So when it comes out of the soak, I'll snag a few more pictures of it. Plan on molesting a newer L.E.D. flashlight for the guts to fix up the headlight with.

The bath.
042112001-1.jpg

Some before and afters of the rims.
042112002-1.jpg

042112003-1.jpg

Before and afters on the handle bars.
042112004-1.jpg

042112005-1.jpg

042112006-1.jpg

042112007-1.jpg

Weird crank pins.
042112008-1.jpg

042112009-1.jpg

042112011-1.jpg

Headlight before shots.
042112012-1.jpg

042112016-1.jpg

Soaking parts
042112017-1.jpg

042112019-1.jpg

042112018-1.jpg

Before and afters of the grips (only with Soft Scrub so far. I'll get more when they're done in the bleach soak).
042112021-1.jpg

042112023-1.jpg

042112022-1.jpg

Handle bars, grips, and rims are D O N E. Keep in mind, I'm not going for a "Total Restoration" look with this thing. I'm just freshening it up some. I want to keep some age to it.

042112024-1.jpg

WOW! I've got 92 views so far and only ONE reply...

This thread must suck big time...

Love the thread

Hey, the novice restorer needs threads like this.
Thanks for posting your tricks. Bicycle belle says brasso works real well on the chrome.

Sorry I can't help you with the crank pins. In fact that the first time I've seen those type riveted? on cranks with the drive pins. Interesting. Someone here has the answer for ya.

Looking good so far on the quick cleanup.

Thanks for the feedback. I can use all the help I can get.

I tried the Brasso / Steel Wool trick on the rims with absolutely no luck. I just finished thems up using S.O.S. pads and making a mess in the tub. I left the hubs alone and just lightly hit in between the spokes to leave some of the age. I'm trying to keep the bike somewhat "as-is" only clean it up just enough in just the right spots.

Clenaing

WWat did you use, and how did you clean up the chrome on the handlebars and the rims.
So far looking good.
Steve

Back