Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Is there anything I'm doing wrong here? I got contacted by a company that bought my MacBook from Apple saying that Find My was still activated on the MacBook - they showed me a screenshot proving this.

I went to Find My devices and yep, that MacBook shows - so I removed it and let them know. Over the last 10 mins it keeps re-appearing over and over and I'm removing it over and over (4 times now) (with the swipe left - delete then enter in iCloud pw).

1633373845086.png

Am I doing anything wrong?

Could have sworn I did this in the Apple Store before trading this in to Apple :/

Anyway, all the help files seem to indicate options to remove from account. I see no such options anywhere on Find My.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
1633374345972.png

1. In the Find My app
    ddc731cb860939a83b0e2dd2ae548257.png
    on your Mac, click Devices.
  2. In the Devices list, select the device you want to remove.
  3. Click the Info button
    974db3c051f6ac0adaddf1e2fec1001e.png
    on the map, then click Remove This Device.
    Note: You can also Control-click the device in the Devices list, then choose Remove this Device.
    When you remove a device from Find My, Activation Lock is turned off immediately.

There is no "Remove this Device" on any of my devices!

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Ok looks like what I had to do was erase it THEN remove it for it to finally be removed permanently.

"Note: If you no longer have a device (Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch), you need to remotely erase it before you can remove it. See Remotely erase a device."

Hasn't re-appeared yet...

Reactions: usagora

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
And looks like it's gone gone - thanks @usagora - hopefully the company was able to get it working (haven't heard back from them yet either). But good news is, it's staying off Find My. So that's a good sign.

Reactions: ericwn and usagora

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
good news is, it's staying off Find My
Cool. Now that the Find My situation is solved, be sure to go to your iCloud account (Mac: System Preferences/iCloud/Account Details/Devices, iOS: Settings/Your Apple ID screen name ) and make sure the MacBook no longer shows up as connected to your iCloud account and/or as a trusted device, if you haven't already done so.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.