Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smudger78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Newbie! Be gentle.

I'm really annoyed. I bought this Mac basically for the ability to make home movies with iMovie, but have found that my Panasonic GS300 won't connect.

Tests performed:
  • Connected GS300 with firewire cable to Mac 10.5.2 - does not recognise anything connected at all.
  • Connected GS300 to a Mac running on Tiger - connected fine.
  • Connected another firewire device to my Mac 10.5.2 - connected fine.

In addition, when connecting the camera up to the Leopard Mac and checking 'About This Mac>More Info>Firewire' I get a 'Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices' and 'Maximum Speed: Up to 800Mb/sec'.

It's a strange phrase 'unable to list' - it's like 'I know it's there, but I don't feel like listing it'. Surely it should be 'Cannot find FireWire devices' or something like that...?

So I've been told (by a Service Centre after I took the Mac and GS300 in for tests) that there must be something wrong with the driver for the GS300....? What does this mean? What do I do? I can't find anything on any of the forums about this problem. (Apologies if there is, but I've looked as much as I can).

Surely someone else has come across this issue? Any and all help appreciated, otherwise I'm going to have to get a new camcorder:mad:

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Did a quick google search on your problem. One person fixed the problem by replacing a faulty firewire cable. Assuming your using the same cable for all your tests, that's probably not your problem. Another guy said that zapping the PRAM helped matters for him.

Smudger78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Thanks Scooby - tried the PRAM reset but no joy.

The firewire cable's been isolated and tested and that works fine.

Has anyone else found anything that worked for them?

guymi

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Motion DV

Newbie! Be gentle.

I'm really annoyed. I bought this Mac basically for the ability to make home movies with iMovie, but have found that my Panasonic GS300 won't connect.

Tests performed:
  • Connected GS300 with firewire cable to Mac 10.5.2 - does not recognise anything connected at all.
  • Connected GS300 to a Mac running on Tiger - connected fine.
  • Connected another firewire device to my Mac 10.5.2 - connected fine.

In addition, when connecting the camera up to the Leopard Mac and checking 'About This Mac>More Info>Firewire' I get a 'Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices' and 'Maximum Speed: Up to 800Mb/sec'.

It's a strange phrase 'unable to list' - it's like 'I know it's there, but I don't feel like listing it'. Surely it should be 'Cannot find FireWire devices' or something like that...?

So I've been told (by a Service Centre after I took the Mac and GS300 in for tests) that there must be something wrong with the driver for the GS300....? What does this mean? What do I do? I can't find anything on any of the forums about this problem. (Apologies if there is, but I've looked as much as I can).

Surely someone else has come across this issue? Any and all help appreciated, otherwise I'm going to have to get a new camcorder:mad:

Hello,

having the same equipment, you may help me.
I used to work on PC since in discovered MAC => no PC's at home :)

As i mentioned, I have similar equipment, camcord Panasonic NV-GS300 and Mac OS X (Mac Book & Mac Book Pro).

On PC, there is a application called "MotionDV Studio" to transfert movies.
How does it work with a Mac ? I can't find this sw for Mac ?
Thanks

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I just can tell that with my Panasonic GS400 everything runs fine with FW400/10.5.2. Perfect import with iMovie in automatic or manual mode. Had issues with cables before... Try another one.

u2me

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks Scooby - tried the PRAM reset but no joy.

The firewire cable's been isolated and tested and that works fine.

Has anyone else found anything that worked for them?
I had exactly the same problem on a brand new iMac C2D 2.4GHz with a Panasonic PV-GS70 camcorder.
Everything was ok with my Titanium G4/667 and iMag G3/500 both under Tiger.
I finally decided to by a new cable (not so easy where I live in south Viêt-Nam) and bingo!
No it works just fine!
The old "bad" cable was labelled Sony and does not seem to be shielded (since it is quite flexible). The new one is "transparent", not branded and shielded.

If you experience this problem, try a new cable...

Yannick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.